The Chief hike in Squamish, BC is a popular and thrilling journey for out of doors fanatics. This iconic hike offers breathtaking views, tough terrain, and the prospect to connect with nature in a single amongst British Columbia’s most stunning landscapes. As you embark on this journey, you may be captivated by the great thing about the surrounding mountains, lush forests, and the winding river below. With its spectacular granite peaks, The Chief stands tall as a testament to the spectacular geological historic previous of the world. Lace up your mountaineering boots and put together for an unforgettable experience on The Chief hike.
The Stawamus Chief path might be the popular hike in Squamish and for good function. You don’t must journey far down a logging road to get to the Chief hike, the hike is fulfilling and completely different and in addition you get good views of downtown Squamish and the surrounding mountains from the best.
In case you’ve however to do go mountaineering the Chief path then proper right here’s all of the items it is best to study among the many most interesting Squamish hikes!
No Day Go is Wished in 2023.
AllTrails is my go-to mountaineering app for finding, planning, and navigating whereas I’m out on the paths. With offline maps on AllTrails+ you might be assured you’re nonetheless on the right track, even with out cell signal.
Do extra open air with 50% on AllTrails till September twenty sixth
The Chief Hike, Squamish, BC
The Chief is the title given to the 700-metre-high granite cliffs that stand on the south end of Squamish on the Sea to Sky freeway. You presumably can see this rock face all through Squamish and mountaineering to the best of it is correctly properly well worth the effort!
The hike itself consists of three peaks, although most people solely make it to the first or second peak sooner than returning to the parking lot. It’s potential to do all three in a day, and the small print of the Chief hike below outline how to try this.
Involving ladders, chains and ropes, this steep hike isn’t primarily probably the most accessible for rookies nevertheless these additions optimistic make it fascinating!
In case you’re visiting BC and questioning whether or not or to not do the Chief hike vs Grouse Grind, it’s dependent upon what you’re after. Every have good views, nevertheless the Chief wins on that entrance and the hike is further gratifying too as a result of the Grouse Grind is further of a train barely than a hike.
Nonetheless, once you’re on the summit of the Grouse Grind, there are numerous points to do on Grouse Mountain and you might get the gondola down which is on a regular basis good!
Every the Grouse Grind and The Chief hike are Vancouver mountaineering classics and I’m optimistic you’ll have the benefit of whichever one you choose.
Learn how to get to The Chief in Squamish
Attending to the Chief path in Squamish from Vancouver is straightforward. Merely take the ocean to sky freeway northbound in route of Squamish.
You presumably can park at each the Chief parking or the Shannon Falls parking lot and begin your hike from there by following the indications to the trailhead.
Parking will get busy on the weekends in summer season nevertheless don’t park inside the parking lot for the Gondola as chances are high you may get ticketed.
It is not potential to get the gondola down from the Chief. If that’s what you’re planning on doing it is best to do the Sea to Summit path.
Know sooner than you go
- On a regular basis observe depart no trace ethics. Undecided what these are? Get a refresher right here.
- Carry bear spray with you on all BC mountaineering trails. Get further bear safety strategies proper right here!
- Questioning what to pack for Vancouver day hikes? Proper right here’s a mountaineering packing guidelines!
- Refresh your memory about mountaineering safety with BC Journey Good.
- Don’t depart home with out your 10 requirements. They may save your life!
- Canines are allowed on leash nevertheless there are ladders/ropes involved so your canine should be a v.good at leaping or simple to carry
- It’s best to use public transit from Vancouver for this hike
The Squamish Chief hike
From the parking lot, make your methodology to the beginning of the trail the place you’ll come to a sequence of wooden steps. One in all many most essential causes I prefer to suggest starting this hike early is so that you just simply’re not caught in a line of people traipsing up the steps.
To start out with, you’ll be strolling the similar path as a result of the Sea to Summit path in Squamish which takes you to the best of Shannon Falls and, lastly, the gondola.
Having climbed a number of the steps, the trail splits with the Sea to Summit path signposted to the proper, and the Chief path continues on the left.
Hike the Chief – Peak 1
Rapidly you’ll come all through one different junction which may take you on to The Chief’s Third peak. If you need, you can go to Third peak first and work your methodology once more.
Nonetheless, as a result of the views from the Stawamus Chief first peak and 2nd Chief peaks are what you’ve come for, I’d advocate starting with peaks 1 and a pair of after which resolve once you’ve acquired adequate vitality to go to peak 3 afterwards.
To do this, take the path on the left for peak 1 and a pair of. At an additional junction, the trail splits for peak 1 on the left and peak 2 on the proper. Take the lefthand path now and proceed mountaineering upwards until you attain a metal ladder it is essential to climb to achieve the best of peak 1.
After climbing the ladder you’ll find yourself inside the forest and might shortly come all through a rock half with a sequence that may help you climb it.
The chain is pretty protected so don’t be scared to utilize it.
There are a few markers on the rock (and infrequently a great deal of people), so it’s not too onerous to work out the place to go to achieve among the finest viewpoint on peak 1.
From up proper right here, you’ll get good views of the Howe Sound and town of Squamish. You presumably can usually see kite-boarders out inside the Squamish Spit too!
Squamish Chief peak 2
Whenever you’ve beloved the view, head once more down one of the best ways you bought right here. Whenever you’ve come down the ladder and made it once more to the junction, take the trail going uphill if you happen to want to do peak 2 and/or peak 3.
This path climbs steeply and there are some further chains that may help you climb up the rock. Personally, I really feel the views from 2nd Peak of the Chief are among the finest and so they’re often a bit quieter what with most people solely going to peak 1 and once more.
Chief peak 3
For these wishing to hike to the third peak of the Chief, proceed up and over the second peak, following the trail markers as you descend proper right into a valley.
This house is known as the saddle and sits between peaks 2 and three. Navigation proper right here could possibly be a bit difficult so make certain you’ve obtained your GPS and preserve a be careful for established trails and markers.
The standpoint from peak 3 is completely completely completely different from that of peaks 1 and a pair of. Whereas it’s not the usual “Chief views” you’ve seen all through instagram, it’s explicit in its private correct. From up proper right here, you’ll get a check out Sky Pilot mountain along with many others.
To return, hike once more proper all the way down to the saddle and as a substitute of mountaineering once more as a lot as peak 2, adjust to the path as a result of it continues downwards once more in route of the precept path. Then, take the steps proper all the way down to the trailhead and the parking lot.
Stawamus Chief hike statistics
Know the essential hike particulars for mountaineering the Squamish Chief’s 3 peaks along with how prolonged is the Chief hike.
- The Chief hike drawback: Common-Arduous (some trickier areas of the chief mountaineering path comprise ropes/stairs and troublesome wayfinding between 2nd-Third peak)
- Distance: 6.1km
- Elevation: 772m
- The Chief hike time (all 3 peaks): 3-6 hours
What to pack for the Chief mountain hike
What to pack for this hike relies upon what season you’re mountaineering in.
- Attempt my day hike packing guidelines proper right here.
- In case you’re mountaineering in summer season it is advisable pack sunscreen, shades, layers, water and bug spray along with all of the items inside the 10 requirements for mountaineering guidelines.
- Proper right here is what to placed on mountaineering in scorching local weather
- Do that submit on among the finest leggings for mountaineering or what to placed on mountaineering in summer season for further particulars and my gear strategies.
- In case you’re mountaineering in winter after the snow has started falling you’ll need microspikes on the very least. If there could also be a wide range of snow you may most certainly need snowshoes.
- It’s essential to additionally take a great deal of layers along with a fleece layer, a puffy insulated jacket and a wind and waterproof outer layer. Hats and gloves are moreover essential along with a good backpack to keep up all of the items in.
- It’s essential to additionally pack water and some snacks too to keep up you going as they’re part of the 10 requirements for mountaineering!
- Planning a mountaineering date? Attempt what to placed on on a mountaineering date nevertheless nonetheless look cool.
Ultimate Updated on March 9, 2023 by Hannah
The Chief hike in Squamish, BC is a popular and tough path that offers stunning views of the surrounding panorama. With a most elevation purchase of 540 meters, hikers are rewarded with breathtaking panoramic views from the best. This hike simply is not for the faint-hearted, and it requires an excellent diploma of well being and proper instruments. Nonetheless, the tough ascent is worth it for the awe-inspiring environment and sense of accomplishment on the summit.