Slhanay Path is a powerful mountaineering route that ends in the majestic Slhanay Peak in Squamish, British Columbia. Offering breathtaking views and a troublesome trek, this path has flip into a favorite amongst exterior followers and nature lovers alike. With its rugged terrain and ranging elevation ranges, the trail ensures an invigorating experience that rewards hikers with mesmerizing vistas of the surrounding mountains, valleys, and the glowing Howe Sound. As you embark on this journey, preserve a be careful for the three standout choices of the Slhanay Path: the inserting panoramic views, the numerous wildlife, and the thrilling scramble to the peak.
The Slhanay Path in Squamish British Columbia is probably going one of many best points to do in Squamish in summer time season.
Town of Squamish is the journey capital of Canada and is residence to among the many best hikes near Vancouver, as properly as completely different adventures. The Slhanay Peak path is just a kind of hikes!
It might be considerably robust to hunt out the route on this path, nonetheless with this info (and a mountaineering app like AllTrails+) it is best to be able to get spherical this loop mountaineering path in Squamish with no factors.
That’s definitely one among my favorite Squamish mountaineering trails that I’ve achieved quite a lot of cases. It presents very good views of the Stawamus Chief (The Chief), along with downtown Squamish and surrounding mountains. It’s moreover far a lot much less crowded than among the many completely different widespread hikes in Squamish making it one BC hike you’ll need in order so as to add to your itemizing!
Slhanay Path Climbing Info
Slhanay Peak (might even see it spelled Shlaney or named Stawamus Squaw), is an intermediate to troublesome Squamish hike with very good views for those who acknowledge the place to go!
Not like most hikes, among the finest views on the Slhanay path aren’t from the summit, moderately they’re from a bit further down.
The views are similar to these from Mt Crumpit, nonetheless arguably barely larger and the hike is harder too.
AllTrails is my go-to mountaineering app for finding, planning, and navigating whereas I’m out on the paths. With offline maps on AllTrails+ you would be assured you’re nonetheless on the right track, even with out cell signal.
Slhanay Trial Hike Stats
- Distance: 6 km (ish – varies counting on the exact route taken)
- Situation: Intermediate – Exhausting
- Elevation: 650 m
- Shlanay trailhead & Shlanay Path Parking: Spherical 1.7km down Mamquam Forest Service Road (one among many busier Squamish Forest Service Roads) exterior of Squamish. Parking is alongside aspect the freeway. There could also be usually a spot alongside this freeway, however it does get busy with climbers and completely different hikers too so arriving earlier throughout the day is best.
Climbing Slhanay Peak
This path isn’t one of the best to adjust to, subsequently I strongly counsel downloading the Shlanay path map from AllTrails (I make the most of this as my Squamish path map) and together with it to your cellphone sooner than leaving for this hike.
After you’ve parked up on the freeway, seek for some flagging throughout the bushes on the right-hand facet (merely earlier a small, open gravel house and boulder space.
You’ll start by mountaineering proper right into a thick forest typical of the West Coast and many the hikes on this house. After a couple of minutes, you’ll attain the first steep half.
On the prime of this climb, you’ll come to a fork throughout the path. Proper right here, it is best to flip left and concede to search recommendation out of your GPS map to be sure you’re on the right track!
The next part of the trail contains some navigation of roots and rocks as you proceed up through the forest. There are some orange markers spherical, and in case you’re used to navigating BC trails, you shouldn’t have any difficulties.
As you proceed, you’ll come out to an infinite granite rockface, and the chances are you’ll hear a few climbers shouting “take” or “climb on” as it’s a widespread Slhanay climbing route throughout the house. Rapidly you’ll be on the prime of this!
Adjust to the trail to the suitable of the rockface, and hike the filth switchbacks until you attain one different junction. Make a correct proper right here.
At this degree, the trail will get very slender so take your time as you don’t want to slip!
After following alongside this rock face for a few minutes you may then head once more into the forest sooner than climbing a steep a part of filth switchbacks.
On the prime of the switchbacks is one different junction and you’ll have to take the path to the suitable.
The Slhanay Path Viewpoints
As you go throughout the nook, you come out at Poxy Crag viewpoint marked by a small wooden sign. Adjust to this path considerably and in addition you’ll get to a niche with good views of downtown Squamish and a glimpse of the Chief.
Return to the precept path and take the next slight detour to The Valley. That is additionally marked by a small wooden sign and the standpoint is even larger!
Return to the precept path as soon as extra and take the path to the left on the next junction. Shortly after this, there’s a four-way crossing. Go left as soon as extra. Proceed barely uphill and ignore the trail to the left for now.
Spherical 3km into the hike, you’ll come to the turnoff for Tony’s Lookout Squamish which is without doubt one of the greatest viewpoint of the hike and the precept house people want to get to after they do the Shlanay path.
Preserve watch over the GPS and the bushes to determine a small path and wooden sign.
The views from this lookout are largely of The Chief they normally’re good! There’s moreover a bench proper right here which makes the correct spot to take a break.
From proper right here, you probably can proceed to the peak by rejoining the precept path after which persevering with until you attain a logging freeway (a wider path through the woods). It’s possible you’ll even see a few cars proper right here as a result of it’s part of the Slhanay Squamish mountain biking trails.
Flip left proper right here and proceed on the path for about 350m, retaining your eyes open until you see a path go off into the woods in your left. This path is likely to be the hardest to determine, so that you just’ll ought to be paying consideration!
The climb from here is a bit steeper however it shortly flattens out barely. On the next crossroads, it is best to take the left path.
The final word part of the trail as a lot as the peak takes you up over a rocky outcrop and from up proper right here you probably can take pleasure in views of Squamish, the mountains to the north, and Garibaldi too.
To return you probably can adjust to the route you took to stand up proper right here.
Or, as you’ll see on the All Trails map, there’s a barely fully completely different loop you’ll be able to do to make it further of a loop path.
Nonetheless, that’s pretty steep so solely strive in case you’re prepared for it.
Points to know sooner than doing the Slhanay Peak Hike
Sooner than doing definitely one among my favorite hikes in Squamish, proper listed here are some issues to know sooner than you go.
- Wildlife: Take note of wildlife similar to bears and cougars. Familiarize your self with safety pointers for encounters and always carry bear spray with you.
- Local weather: Squamish local weather can change shortly. Study the forecast and be prepared for sudden rain or temperature drops.
- Path Etiquette: Carry on the designated path to cut back environmental have an effect on and yield to uphill hikers.
- Cell Service: Reception could possibly be patchy. Inform someone of your plans sooner than heading out.
- Canine: If bringing a pet, preserve them on a leash at all times for his or her safety and the safety of wildlife.
- Go away No Trace: Pack out all of the stuff you usher in. Go away the trail as you found it or larger.
- Views: The trail presents unbelievable views of Howe Sound and Stawamus Chief Mountain, so don’t overlook your digital digital camera!
- Bodily State of affairs: Some sections comprise steep climbs and require an outstanding stage of well being.
- Safety: Always carry a elementary first help tools and take note of the closest emergency suppliers.
- Slhanay Path Mountain Bike: The Slhanay Path route set out above is primarily a mountaineering path, nonetheless there are some mountain biking trails. TrailForks is without doubt one of the greatest place to seek for mountain bike trails in Squamish.
What to pack for the Slhanay hike Squamish
Beneath are some strategies on what to pack for mountaineering in Squamish. It is potential you may need to change and modify this counting on the season, local weather, and what path you’re mountaineering. I’m going into further aspect in my info to what to pack for day hikes.
- Backpack: A comfortable and waterproof backpack acceptable for the dimensions of your hike.
- Garmin InReach SOS system
- Footwear: Good mountaineering boots or path trainers.
- Garments Layers: BC’s local weather can change shortly. Placed on moisture-wicking base layers, a warmth insulating layer, and a water-proof and windproof outer layer.
- Rain Gear: Always carry a lightweight rain jacket or poncho, even when the forecast appears to be clear.
- Hat and Sunglasses: Security in opposition to photo voltaic, rain, and low-hanging branches.
- Gloves: Lightweight gloves for cooler mornings or better elevations.
- Map and Compass: Even you most likely have a GPS, always carry a bodily map and compass as a backup.
- Water: Not lower than 2 liters, further for longer hikes or if there are not any reliable water sources on the trail.
- Snacks: Energy bars, nuts, dried fruit, and completely different high-energy, lightweight meals.
- Lunch: In case your hike will span meal cases, pack a non-perishable lunch.
- First Help Gear: Fundamentals like band-aids, antiseptic wipes, blister remedy, and ache relievers.
- Personal Identification: Along with any necessary permits or passes.
- Emergency Whistle: Shall be heard over longer distances than shouting.
- Multi-tool or Knife: Useful for repairs and emergencies.
- Headlamp: With additional batteries, in case your hike takes longer than anticipated.
- Sunscreen: Even on cloudy days, UV radiation could possibly be sturdy.
- Insect Repellent: Notably important in areas acknowledged for mosquitoes.
- Bear Spray: Necessary in a lot of elements of BC the place bears are frequent.
- Toilet Paper and Sanitation Trowel: For accountable waste disposal. Pack out used bathroom paper in a sealed plastic bag. Or use a Kula fabric!
- Trekking Poles: Helpful for stability and should cut back strain on knees; notably when going downhill.
- Emergency Shelter or Bivy: A lightweight-weight tarp or emergency blanket for astonishing circumstances.
- Water Filter or Purification Tablets: If you plan to produce water alongside the trail.
- Mobile Cellphone: Completely charged, with emergency numbers saved. Reception is also spotty, however it’s nonetheless a invaluable software program. Pack a transportable battery pack too for longer hikes.
- Additional Ziplock Baggage or Trash Baggage: To pack out trash or preserve devices dry.
- Digicam or Binoculars: Non-compulsory, for capturing views or observing wildlife.
Be mindful, BC’s wilderness could possibly be unpredictable. Always be prepared, inform someone of your plans, and respect the setting.
FAQs regarding the Slhaney Path in Squamish
How do you pronounce Slhanay?
“Slhanay” is pronounced as “slah-nye.” It’s a popularity associated to the Squamish house in British Columbia, and like many indigenous phrases, the pronunciation could possibly be distinctive and fully completely different from the way in which it could look to English audio system.
Final concepts on the Slhanay path Squamish BC
The Slhanay Path in Squamish, BC, has quite a lot of beautiful panoramic views, and troublesome terrain, and is probably going one of many a lot much less busy hikes in Squamish. It’s definitely one among my favorite trails to hike spherical Vancouver and in addition you get so many good viewpoints of Squamish.
If you’re seeking further hikes in Squamish, strive the Brohm Lake and Tantalus Lookout path, cope with to Sea to Summit path, or the Mount Crumpit path which has comparable views of The Stawamus Chief.
Last Updated on August 22, 2023 by Hannah
The Slhanay Path to Slhanay Peak in Squamish, BC is a troublesome and rewarding hike that provides beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and Howe Sound. The trail is steep and rugged, requiring hikers to be bodily match and expert. Nonetheless, the sense of accomplishment and the breathtaking environment on the height make it effectively well worth the effort. Hikers ought to come back prepared with appropriate gear and take note of the potential hazards alongside one of the best ways.