Located in Garibaldi Provincial Park in British Columbia, Canada, the Opal Cone is a shocking attribute of the Elfin Lakes Hike. This volcanic cone stands at an elevation of 1,859 meters and affords hikers magnificent panoramic views of its surrounding mountain ranges, along with Mount Garibaldi. A tough and rewarding journey, this hike takes visitors through quite a few landscapes, from dense forests to alpine meadows, showcasing the breathtaking incredible factor concerning the Pacific Northwest. Lace up your mountaineering boots and put collectively to be enchanted by the pristine wilderness, tranquil lakes, and awe-inspiring vistas that await you on the Opal Cone, Elfin Lakes Hike.
– Magnificent Panoramic Views: From the summit of the Opal Cone, hikers are dealt with to unparalleled 360-degree views of the encircling peaks and glaciers. The sight of Mount Garibaldi, with its towering presence and rugged magnificence, is simply awe-inspiring. Immerse your self inside the vastness of the panorama as you admire the rolling mountains, untouched wilderness, and the untouched magnificence spanning as far as the eye can see.
– Pristine Alpine Lakes: The Elfin Lakes, a pair of gorgeous turquoise lakes nestled in a extreme alpine meadow, are a sight to behold. Surrounded by picturesque peaks and plush meadows, these shimmering lakes operate a great spot for picnics and a refreshing dip on scorching summer season days. Take a second to soak inside the serenity and tranquility of these pristine lakes, framed by breathtaking pure magnificence.
– Quite a few and Scenic Path: The hike to Opal Cone and Elfin Lakes affords quite a lot of awe-inspiring environment alongside the trail. Traverse through enchanting forests, the place towering timber create a shaded cowl overhead. As you ascend bigger, the panorama transforms into an alpine paradise, with vibrant wildflowers carpeting the meadows by way of the summer season months. Witness the raw power of nature as you trek all through volcanic terrain and marvel on the remnants of earlier volcanic train, along with lava flows and jagged rocks. This path provides hikers with an unforgettable experience, showcasing the assorted and charming incredible factor concerning the space.
Opal Cone is probably going one of many hikes you’ll be able to do contained in the Diamon Head house of Garibaldi Provincial Park. It’s a most popular path to hike within the occasion you’re doing the Elfin Lakes Hike, or persevering with onto Mamquam Lake.
AllTrails is my go-to mountaineering app for finding, planning, and navigating whereas I’m out on the paths. With offline maps on AllTrails+ you is likely to be assured you’re nonetheless on track, even with out cell signal.
NEW 2023 UPDATE!
You need to a day cross to entry widespread BC parks, Garibaldi (from June 14 – Oct 9), Joffre (May 6 – Oct 9) and Golden Ears (June 14 – Sept 4). The passes are free and on the market from 7 am two days sooner than your go to. All particulars & knowledge right here.
Opal Cone Hike
We hiked Opal Cone whereas backpacking Garibaldi Provincial Park to Elfin Lakes and Mamquam Lake. The local weather wasn’t good, nonetheless we did get a tiny gap of clear sky near the summit and the views from Opal Cone are pretty!
Whenever you’re staying at Elfin Lakes or mountaineering through to Mamquam Lake then you need to undoubtedly head up proper right here.
Opal Cone Path Stats
- Distance: 35km (spherical journey)
- Interval: 10+ hours (in a single day is more healthy)
- Subject: Simple/Intermediate
- Elevation: 750 m
To get to Opal Cone, you’ll start from the Diamond Head trailhead merely exterior of Squamish. The first 11km to Elfin Lakes has some delicate elevation up through the forest on switchbacks sooner than you come out into the alpine at Crimson Heather Hut.
From Crimson Heather Hut there’s a slight climb, with spectacular views all through, sooner than your final descent all the best way right down to the lakes.
Elfin Lakes is a popular tenting trip spot and you will prepare your tent proper right here when you might have a tenting reservation, sooner than heading on to Opal Cone.
Love mountaineering? Attempt over 100+ mountaineering guides from BC and across the globe
Elfin Lakes to Opal Cone
To get to Opal Cone from Elfin Lakes, proceed earlier the Elfin Lake shelter and adjust to the indications.
The trail is flat for pretty a while and also you then’ll start descending down into the valley within the route of a river. There’s a bridge proper right here to make the river crossing easy, and from proper right here you’ll adjust to the trail alongside the river on a very delicate incline and deeper into the valley.
After just some km, the trail takes you correct and uphill until you come out on a ridge house and on the bottom of Opal Cone.
Looking for an Elfin Lakes guided hike? In the mean time there don’t look like any, nonetheless check out these guided mountaineering excursions near Vancouver along with Garibaldi Lake and Joffre Lakes.
Since we’ve got been on our technique to Mamquam Lake to rearrange camp and had our backpacking baggage with us, we stashed our baggage (taking meals devices with us) and continued up with merely our lighter baggage.
Opal Cone Hike
There’s a small signpost to Opal Cone, and likewise you’ll have to flip left alongside a thin ridge-like path sooner than you descend!
The first part of this path is form of easy and the views are pretty. Then the trail heads off to the left with a steep climb within the route of a giant boulder.
At this stage, we couldn’t see lots nonetheless managed to pick some cairns that guided the best way through which. The GPS maps on our phone helped too!
To the west, you are going to get a formidable view of Mount Garibaldi, Atwell Peak, and Little Diamond Head.
Points to know sooner than mountaineering Opal Cone at Elfin Lakes
- Canine at Elfin Lakes: No canines allowed in Garibaldi Provincial Park.
- Tenting reservations: The Elfin Lake campground has 35 tent platforms, a day-use shelter a pit bathroom companies and bear cling companies. You can reserve the Elfin Lakes campground upfront. It costs $10 per particular person per night plus a $6 reservation worth to camp at Elfin Lakes.
- Elfin Lakes shelter: The Elfin Lakes hut sleeps 33 of us (11 double bunks, 12 single bunks), has 4 picnic tables, 2 propane scorching plates, a wash sink, a propane heater, propane lights and pit bathroom companies. It’s booked months prematurely in winter. Make Elfin Lakes cabin reservations right here.
- Elfin Lakes path map: The trail is correctly marked nonetheless it’s a superb suggestion to take a path map too. And within the occasion you propose to do any extra mountaineering paying homage to to Opal Cone, the Gargoyles or Mamquam Lake you need to undoubtedly take one. This Garibaldi Provincial Park path map is sweet.
- Elfin Lakes local weather & path circumstances: There are only a few strategies to look at the Elfin Lakes circumstances sooner than you hike. I like to do just some of them to get a superb suggestion sooner than heading out. First, you presumably can look at the official path studies for Garibaldi Provincial Park right here. They’re not that recurrently updated nonetheless it’s an ideal start. Then be taught the most recent critiques on AllTrails
- Bogs: There’s an outhouse on the trailhead, Crimson Heather Hut, and at Elfin Lakes
- Water: You could get ingesting water from the lower lake nonetheless it desires filtering and/or boiling.
- Swimming in Elfin Lakes: You could swim inside the excessive lake. The lower lake is for ingesting water solely.
- Be journey smart: Take into account to respect the terrain, environment, and completely different clients in case you are having enjoyable with the paths. Comply with the three Ts—journey planning, teaching, and taking the requirements. AdventureSmart is an effective helpful useful resource that may aid you get educated sooner than heading open air.
What to pack for the Opal Cone Hike in Garibaldi Provincial Park
What to pack for this hike depends upon what season you’re mountaineering in.
- Attempt my day hike packing guidelines proper right here.
- Whenever you’re mountaineering in summer season you need to pack sunscreen, sunglasses, layers, water and bug spray along with the whole thing inside the 10 requirements for mountaineering guidelines.
- Proper right here is what to placed on mountaineering in scorching local weather
- Do that put up on among the finest leggings for mountaineering or what to placed on mountaineering in summer season for further particulars and my gear ideas.
- Whenever you’re mountaineering in winter after the snow has started falling you’ll need microspikes on the very least. If there could also be a complete lot of snow you will most probably need snowshoes.
- You additionally must take a great deal of layers along with a fleece layer, a puffy insulated jacket and a wind and waterproof outer layer. Hats and gloves are moreover important along with a good backpack to keep up the whole thing in.
- You additionally must pack water and some snacks too to keep up you going as they’re part of the 10 requirements for mountaineering!
- Planning a mountaineering date? Attempt what to placed on on a mountaineering date nonetheless nonetheless look cool.
Closing concepts on Opal Cone Garibaldi
Whenever you’re in search of to do the Elfin Lake hike and delay it a bit extra, the Opal Ridge hike to Opal Cone is probably going one of many hikes I prefer to suggest.
On this hike, you’ll depart the crowds behind at Elfin Lakes and head off further into the wilderness of Garibaldi Provincial Park.
The Opal Cone Squamish path is one in every of my favourites from a present summer season Elfin Lakes backpacking journey and supplies you great views of the glaciers, lakes and the Gargoyles hike in Garibaldi Provincial Park.
Ultimate Updated on April 21, 2023 by Hannah
Opal Cone, Elfin Lakes Hike is a tough and rewarding trek located in Garibaldi Provincial Park, British Columbia. The hike affords stunning panoramic views of the encircling mountains and lakes, showcasing the beauty of the realm. The trail is well-maintained and affords a variety of terrain, along with lush forests, alpine meadows, and rocky slopes. Hikers can rely on to return throughout common to strenuous sections, making appropriate preparation and bodily well being vital. The Opal Cone, Elfin Lakes Hike is a must-do for out of doors followers on the lookout for a memorable and picturesque journey inside the Canadian wilderness.